Originally released in 1983 by singer/songwriter, Cindy Lauper, Girls Just Want to Have Fun is a very iconic song that has been covered countless times and has become one of the most popular songs representing the early 90’s. Here are a few cool versions that came out a little over a decade after and we think you’ll love ’em:
1. The Maine ft. Adam Lazzara (Taking Back Sunday)
– My favorite version, personally. This version was on the Punk Goes Pop 5 collection and it incorporates a lot of The Maine’s punk rock characteristics, including the occasional screaming. Not to mention, Adam Lazzara’s presence makes it really powerful and hard-hitting.
2. Greg Laswell
– Heard on one of The Carrie Diaries episodes, this version is absolutely beautiful and a totally different take on the song. The lovely piano and vocal combination keeps the song’s timelessness intact.
– A more retro/funk take on Lauper’s song, Strfkr gives this song a lot lore bass and rhythm, giving this version a little more 90’s feel compared to the rest. Very rad.
4. Relient K
– Another punk rendition of the song, Relient K’s version contains a lot of energy and dynamic.
5. Taylor Henderson
– X Factor Australia finalist, Taylor Henderson does a nice job recreating this song. The Irish touch on the instrumentation and the Lion King-esque melodies solidify how unique this version is.
(By Dana Reandelar)